Monday, May 30, 2011

Bulk Baking and Recipes!!!!

Saturday is my baking day. I like to bake on the weekend so that we have plenty for lunch boxes and morning teas for the week. It's hard to bake on Sundays as I almost always have a roast on Sundays. So until I get my fabulous multi door oven when we win xlotto this is how things will be.

This week I seems to have enough mini muffins still in the freezer to last us at least this week so I thought I'd make some big cakes that I can then cut in half and have in the freezer to pull out when the need arises. Often for the boys weekly play date with their friend Will.

Of course I have been craving chocolate since Brian and I have been loosing weight so I had to make some choc chip brownies and I haven't made my butter cake recipe in eons so that was on the menu too.

I find the best thing to do when you are baking something, especially cakes, for the freezer is to make double. It's really minimal effort to make that one extra.


I have two bowls set up next to each other. I then dump the ingredients into each bowl as we go along.



Then pour then into greased and lined tins, doesn't matter if they aren't the same size, just adjust the cooking times to suit. Easy peasy.




I also baked some Pineapple Rock Cakes as I had some crushed pineapple leftover from making a Carrot and Pineapple cake for our play date last week (I froze the leftovers and defrosted for the Rock Cakes).


The butter cake.



And here are the cakes all cut in halves and wrapped up for the freezer. We kept one piece of brownies for afternoon tea mmmmm.

Now who wants recipes?


Flying Brownies
The recipe for the brownies came from a girl in the FlyLady forum, I'll call then Flying Brownies

1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1t baking powder
1t salt
2 cups sugar
2t vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
3 eggs
125g walnuts or choc chips

Preheat oven to 180C, grease and line a square cake tin.
Mix all ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 180C for 25-30 minutes



Rich Butter Cake
This recipe is from my mum. She got it from one of the womens mags when I was a kid

2 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup custard powder
2 cups castor sugar (I use normal white sugar)
1 cup milk
4 eggs, lightly beaten
250g butter softened
2t vanilla

Preheat to 180C, grease and line a 25cm square cake tin.
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
Beat on medium speed for 10 minutes (5 is usually enough) until thick and creamy.
I mix all the ingredients except the butter with a wooden spoon first so that once my Kenwood is turned on flour and sugar doesn't go everywhere as I don't have a collar on my bowls.
Pour into prepared tin.
Bake for 1 1/4 hours. Coll in tin for 5 mins before turning out onto a rack
Yumm iced with buttercream icing, however it's best to freeze uniced cakes and ice once defrosted.
Buttercream Icing
125g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2T milk
Beat butter until smooth.
Add sugar and milk in two batches until well combined.


Pineapple Rock Cakes
From The Australian Family Circle Favourite Cake Recipes cookbook.
2 cups self raising flour
Pinch salt
1/2 t mixed spice
90g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup drained canned crushed pineapple 1/3 cup sultanas
4T syrup from pineappple
1egg, well beaten

Cut butter into the flour, salt and spice. I usually do this in the food processor.
Stir in sugar, then mix in pineapple and sultanas.
Add syrup to the egg and mix into dry ingredients.
Drop small rough heaps onto a lightly greased tray (I cover with baking paper).
Sprinkle lightly with some extra sugar.
Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes.


Would love to hear form you if you try my recipes.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Becci, there is always something so interesting on it!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete