Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mums Birthday Cake

It was my lovely mums birthday on tuesday. Here is a pic of us a couple of years ago on mothers day.


We invited mum over for dinner and Ethan had insisted on making Grandma a birthday cake. He wanted a spider cake. Those that know my mum will know that she has a full on phobia about spiders so that was not going to be appropriate at all! I tried to convince Ethan that she would like my Orange and Custard cake with Cream Cheese icing, but he would not go for it. He told me that 'Grandma will say it's yuck!'. Bad luck kiddo it's what I am making.



The recipe come from a family Circle cookbook entitled 'Cooking a commonsense guide'. It's such an easy recipe.

Orange Custard Cake
2 cups SR flour
1/3 cup custard powder
80g butter, chopped (I used marg)
1 1/3 cups caster sugar (I used normal sugar)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons finely chopped orange rind
1 cup orange juice
125g cream cheese
icing sugar (a few cups worth, I didn't measure ooops)
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 180C
Grease and line a deep 23 cm round cake pan. (I split mine between two sandwich pans this time round_
Sift the flour and custard powder into a bowl.
Rub in the butter and sugar. (I blitz mine in the food processor)
Add the eggs, rind and juice and mix until smooth.
Pour into your prepared pan(s) and bake for 50 minutes (mine only took about 30 minutes as they were thinner).
Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.

For the icing:
Beat the cream cheese with an electric beater until smooth.
Add in a cup or so of icing sugar and beat to combine.
Add in more icing sugar and repeat.
Add in the milk and beat to combine.
Add more icing sugar until the icing is off a nice thick consistency.

For this cake I spread some of the icing between the two layers and then topped the cake with the remaining icing. I actually had a little too much so it's in the fridge in a covered container awaiting some nice carrot muffins I think.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Becci - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cake recipe!!
    I made it for the first time today, and it's sure to be made again, and again....yummy!!

    xx
    Tamara (SBT50)

    ReplyDelete