Monday, February 20, 2012

My Routines Pt2 ~ Mornings

Mornings were never much good for me. I am more of a night owl, well at least I always was. 

I had heard that it was a good idea to get up before the kids and get your day started. Pfft! No way was I going to get up before I had to, I enjoy my sleep ins {or as much of one that you get once children come along} way too much!


Then I had Eli, our youngest who's now 2. He would wake anywhere between 5-6am for his morning feed, but go straight back to bed. I found myself quite awake when he'd wake at 6am so I started staying up. I'd pop onto the computer for a bit and then get some washing on, breakfast prepared etc.


It was the best thing I could ever do! I found my day would run so much smoother if I stayed up. I was less stressed, I was awake for the kids, and the day just flowed so much better.
So I started to make a concerted effort to get up about 6am {5am was still way too early} and stay up.

Now Eli doesn't make for those feeds, obviously being 2. He wakes anywhere from 7.30-8am usually. But I have my alarm set for 7am. Most days I get up then, some days I don't, and those days are not very good.



So my day starts at 7am, I then have my computer time for blogging etc until 8am. Getting the kids breakfast and having snuggles when they wake too. But at 8am I lock the computer, step away and start my Morning Routine.

My Morning Routine is based upon FlyLadys. I don't do everything on that list, and some things I have moved to other times of the day. But the FlyLady Morning Routine is a good place to start, then switch things around to make it work for you.



My Morning Routine consists of:
~ Breakfast

~ Open up house
~ Make beds
~ Tidy rooms
~ Boys jammies out for tonight
~ Boys Dressed
~ Swish & Swipe
~ Kitchen tidy
~ Vacuum family room and kitchen
~ Dinner Prep

I have got this pretty much down pat now and can whip through this in an hour most days. On bad days, or days I am distracted by the computer, it can take up to two hours. But really there isn't much on that list so I push myself to get it all done by 9am so that I have more time in the mornings to do things with the boys and to also be company ready if someone pops by.

So in short it's a fantastic idea to get up just a little before the kids if you can. It allows you to get your head around the day and have some quiet me time before the chaos of the morning starts. Have a bit of a plan for the morning so that you aren't dilly dallying your way through the day.

Now I am off to get my Morning Routine done and to work on my goals for the day.



I'll be back tomorrow with a look at my Afternoon Routine.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I think I need to start doing something similar.....I might go and rediscover Flylady again!!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete