Monday, October 17, 2011

Slow Cooked Corned Beef



We love corned beef in this house. It's one of our favourite meals. I always cooked mine on the stove top but since I've had my slow cooker I cook it in there now.
There is no difference to cooking your corned beef in the slow cooker compared to stove top. So if you have a recipe that your family likes that is stove top method. Just put the same ingredients in the slow cooker. The best advantage is that you don't have to worry about the water evaporating. So you can pop it on in the morning and safely go out for a few hours and not have to worry about it boiling dry.
This is my recipe for corned beef. We don't mind the salty flavour of corned beef, although I do try to buy salt reduced if I can for health reasons. We also like our corned beef well cooked.

1 corned beef - doesn't really matter the size. I cook a large one the same as I do a regular sized one.
1 onion, skin on, sliced in half
2-3 carrots, skin on, cut into about 3-4 pieces
1-2 dried bay leaves
4 or so whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
Celery leaves and/or parsley stalks (optional)

I save the celery tops and pop them in a freezer bag in put them in the freezer. A handful is a nice addition to corned beef. So are parsley stalks. Once you have used the parsley leaves pop the stalks in a freezer bag just like the celery. Then they are ready to put straight into the slow cooker for corned beef or into the pop to help flavour a nice stock for soup.

I personally don't like to add vinegar, sugar or orange peel to my corned beef. I find it flavours the meat too much for my taste.

Firstly take your corned beef from the wrapping. Give it a rinse in cold water to get all the brine off. Put it straight into your slow cooker.
Add the vegies, herbs and spices. The top with lots of cold water. You can see the level in my pic above.
Put the lid on and cook on low for about 6 hours or so.

If you are cooking a corned beef to have for cold meat. After the 6 hours turn the slow cooker off and leave the corned beef in the liquor until it's cooled. This ensures that the corned beef will still be nice and moist.
Obviously chill in the refrigerator before using though.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment