Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homemade Sausage Rolls


The other week I had a hankering for homemade sausage rolls. I bought the ingredients last fortnight but with the weather being so hot I didn't cook them. Last night was the night though mmmmm.

Sausage Rolls
1kg packet of puff pastry *
1kg sausage mince **
1 onion, finely chopped
4 slices of bread, crusts removed ***
1-2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs

Defrost your pastry.
Preheat oven to about 220C
Soak the bread with some hot water for a few minutes until it's nice and mushy.
Squeeze out the excess water from the bread and add to the mince, onion and herbs.
Using your hands mash the mix all together until it's evenly mixed.
Grab one sheet of pastry, cute in half horizontally.
Place some of the sausage mix into a piping bag.
Pipe a row of mix along the long edge of one half of the pastry, then repeat with the other half.
Brush the other long edges with a little milk.
Roll up the sausage rolls.
I like to just cut ours into two big sausage rolls, but feel free to do mini ones if you wish.
Place on a lined tray and repeat with the remaining mix.
Brush the tops of the rolls with more milk.
Bake in the oven until nice and golden.

I like to make my rolls nice and fat so usually end up with one sheet of pastry leftover. Rather than popping it back in the freezer where it's likely to get forgotten or broken I use it to make pinwheels. Yesterday was chutney and cheese.
You can sprinkle the rolls with sesame or poppy seeds if you like after you have painted them with the milk.

* I use Coles or Woolies brand pastry, no need for the expensive stuff
** You can use beef or chicken mince if you prefer. I often make healthier ones using low fat mince and add grated veg and cheese into the mix too.
*** use what ever bread you have on hand, older bread is better than fresh, but doesn't matter if it's white or grainy.

Linking up with:









TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've never thought about making sausage rolls at home... maybe 'coz I'm not much of a baker, but these sound great! Also, pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Becci

    I've come over from Rhonda's Down to Earth. Your blog looks nice and interesting!

    I don't use bread in my sausage rolls, but instead I use a small, finely grated potato which makes them nice and moist too.

    I look forward to back tracking over your blog and getting to know you better.

    Cheers - Joolz
    www.simplyjoolz.blogspot.com
    (South Australia)

    ReplyDelete