Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lucas' Welcome Present

An old friend of Brians had her first baby a few weeks back, a gorgeous baby boy, Lucas Andy.

I had been awaiting his arrival for so long. Really wanted to make a special blanket for him, but mum and dad wanted a surprise so I didn't know if he was pink or blue. I didn't want to make a gender neutral blanket now something babyish as they just don't use them as long.

After his birth I pondered over a few patterns, but eventually decided that I liked this blanket that I have pinned. You can find the orginial pattern here (you will have to register but it's free).

I love these colours. Navy, teal, lime and white.

I try to make my blankets nice and big. Big enough that they tuck in on a cot and big enough for a toddler bed and for a lap rug on the lounge when they are older.
the texture of the stitch for the squares is so lush. I crocheted this blanket using Magnum 8ply yarn, but the stitch makes it feel so much thicker.

I made a matching beanie using this pattern that I purchased off etsy.

Some matching (as close as I could get colour wise) in 100% cotton.

I just couldn't get around to making a card so my gorgeous friend Barb Jackson whipped this one up for me the other morning.
Isn't it cute!

I bought this little elephant at one of our local markets from Miss Pickle before Lucas was born.


I thoroughly enjoyed hooking up this blanket. I am actually thinking of making one of the boys blankets in the same pattern, but it will be single bed size and different colours. Easy peasy pattern I can completely recommend.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo



4 comments:

  1. I love the colours you chose - just right for a boy! I have printed off the pattern just in case I get a hankering to give crochet a whirl - it would make a nice knee rug.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks beautiful. I've just found out my sister in Scotland is expecting a bubba in November. Think I might make this blankie for her. Just gotta wait and see if its a boy or girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that blanket is amazing. I would love to make one but I have three kiddies and I think I am just not patient enough. Beautiful though and what a great friend you are to make something so beautiful for their little bubba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I have two little kiddies too (aged 3.5 and 2.5yrs) plus a one more bigger one at home so I know how hard it is to try to find the time.
      I found it a very easy stitch to do. Once you get the hang of it you can whip through the squares quite quickly. Each square took me about an hour to make and the whole blanket took me a bit over two weeks working on it a few hours a day (about an hour or so in the arvo during naps and another 2-3 hours at night watching telly).

      Delete