Saturday, September 22, 2012

Beautiful Banana Cake



I think one of the most favourite cakes of all time would have to be a Banana Cake.

I've had this recipe for years, since I was a teenager. Was a recipe that mum found somewhere, perhaps a Womans Weekly or something no doubt.

It easily doubles too which is fabulous!!

Banana Cake
1C sugar
1 egg
1t bicarb soda
60g butter
3 bananas, mashed
2t milk, warmed
1 1/4C SR Flour
1t vanilla
pinch salt

Doubled
2C sugar
2 eggs
2t bicarb soda
125g butter
6-7 bananas, mashed
1T milk, warmed
2t vanilla
1/4t salt

For a single batch, preheat oven to 180C, grease and line a bar tin.
For a double batch, preheat oven to 160C, grease and line a 25cm square or round cake tin.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add eggs, beat well.
Dissolve bicarb in warmed milk, Add to the mixture.
Add bananas and essence, mix well.
Add flour and salt, beat until all well combined.
Pour into tins.
Bake about 30 mins for a single batch and about an hour for a double batch. Check with a skewer to see if they are ready.

This cake is yummy on it's own but I do love it with a nice fudgey choc icing!


Take Care
Becci
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. If all your boys like walnuts try a handful Bec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the boys would probably love them, me not so much, not a big nut fan. But Banana and Carrot cakes are about the only time I eat walnuts, I even leave them out of my hedgehog slice :)

      Delete
  2. Have you tried the following Becci? This icing works well with banana, carrot or zucchini cakes or muffins.

    250g package cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 1/2 cups icing sugar
    zest of 1 lemon, grated
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Directions
    With an electric mixer on medium, beat the cream cheese until softened.
    Slowly add the sugar, zest, and juice and beat until creamy, about 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cream cheese frosting. I do find using a whole packet of cream cheese a little too much for me though.

    ReplyDelete