Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mince Stroganoff...Sorta




I have cooked many different stroganoff recipes over the years. Some from scratch, some from packets. My fave would have to be the Chicken Strog recipe from one of the Symply Too Goo To Be True cookbooks. But this time I didn't have the much needed can of light evaporated milk. So I decided to wing it. It's not a true strog but it's still a yummy dish. I didn't add any cream etc but you could easily do that if you wish.

Becci's Mince Stroganoff
500g beef mince
1 onion, diced
3/4 brown bag of mushrooms, sliced
2-3 teaspoons of crushed garlic
2-3 heaped dessertspoons tomato paste
2-3 teaspoons beef stock powder
4 tablespoons paprika, or to taste
1 Ltr water, approx
1 Tablespoon cornflour

In a large fry pan brown off the onion and mince until onion is soft and mince is brown. Add the mushrooms, cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the garlic, paprika and tomato paste, cook a couple of minutes.
Add the beef stock powder and water.
Allow to simmer, covered for about 30 mins to make it all nice and tender (I let it cook while I did the rice and veg).
Add more water if the mix is too dry. We like ours rather saucy to go over the rice.
Taste for seasoning. Thicken by making a paste from the cornflour and a little water, stir through.
Serve with rice or buttered noodles.

A couple of notes. If you have a nice liquid beef stock use that instead of the stock powder and water. I added a little water at a time for a little while then poured the rest in. The amount you need might vary.
Remember this is just a recipe I whipped up last night so all amounts are approximate.
Of course change the amount of garlic and paprika to suit your taste.
Add cream, sour cream or even a little milk if you'd like.

Everyone loved this last night. It was very strong in flavour, not spicy though, just the way I like it, so if you prefer milder flavours play with the ingredients or add some dairy to tone things done.
The youngest two scoffed this down and I think they could have easily eaten another bowl if there was more. Next batch will be double!

Enjoy!
Becci
xoxo

7 comments:

  1. it does look very good, I'm always looking for mince dishes,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becci I am going to have to give this one a go - might end up in next weeks menu plan! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on FB yesterday and was hoping that you would blog the recipe. Im so very happy thank you. I think this will be a dinner for next week. I can never get enough recipes for mince x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum with the mince Becci...do you know everytime i ask my other half to make dinner he resorts to that Symply too Good to be true recipe! I got a little sick of it for awhile there but now wondering if this recipe of yours might tempt the fussy twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family loved this recipe Becci...I didn't add quite that much water though. I just put that amount in a jug and poured until I was satisfied that there was enough for the gravy and I also added sour cream at the end. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete