Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blackberry foraging

It's that time of year when the wild blackberries are ripe for the picking.
Last year Brian, BIL and the boys went out late febraury and were a bit too late, they got some but not enough really.
So we went out on saturday and didn't do too badly at all.


 photo 2013_0209Jan20130001_zps8a5766d6.jpg

I was picking in the hope that I'd have enough in the freezer to last us a while. I'd love to be able to use them in breakfast smoothies for Ethan, yoghurt when I start making my own from scratch and in baking and desserts.


 photo 2013_0209Jan20130002_zpsc95e7266.jpg

The boys loved picking the berries.
I made sure they had long pants and tops on to minimise the scratched from the thorns.
Pretty sure they ate more than they put in their containers but that's half the fun.


 photo 2013_0209Jan20130003_zps048a8a4f.jpg
That's about a 10Ltr container full! Not bad for a couple of hours work.

I kept some aside for us to munch on over the next couple of day, probably about 1kgs worth.
Then I laid the rest on trays in a single layer (had to do a couple of batches) and popped them in the freezer for a few hours until they were hard.


 photo 2013_0210Jan20130001_zps8ea6d1f0.jpg
 I then transferred them to a large ziplock bag and popped them back in the freezer.
These are the largest ziplock bags and hold nearly 2kgs of berries each!

Now we'll be able to have berries when ever we like!

We are thinking we might head back out in a week or so. There were heaps that hadn't ripened yet. Would be great to get another haul like this.


Have you been foraging before? What do you like to forage for?

Take Care
Becci
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. love blackberries Bec but they sray the ones near us.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely delicious! I LOVE blackberries but they don't grow here. Makes me homesick to see your bushes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find such good looking blackberry bushes? I thought due to spraying and weed control they were almost extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We found a nice thicket near a creek, not the one pictured though, that was massive.
    There is some praying here, which has made for a reduced number of bushes, but there are still enough around.
    Sort of got to go off track a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What brilliant blackberry bushes! I'd be having a word to the landowner whose paddock is behind the boys in the photo about not spraying the blackberries. It would be a shame if those bushes were gone next year.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I knew who it was, was about 30 mins from here

      Delete