Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tucker Tuesdays ~ Recipe: Rhondas Scones!

 photo 2013_0215Feb20130001_zps7269d4eb.jpg

Scones have been one of those things I've never been very successful at. Until I learnt the secret. You must keep the dough rather moist. I was always adding too much flour so that it wouldn't stick anywhere!
You can read about my Perfect Lemonade Scones here.
However we rarely have lemonade here so I thought I'd try Rhonda's scone recipe from her book Down To Earth, my fave book in the world.

Rhonda's Scones
2C Self raising flour
1T sugar
30g cold butter, chopped
1C buttermilk, whey or plain milk
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 220C. Grease and line a baking tray.
Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and rub in with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
When I can't be bothered doing this I use the food processor.
Pour in milk and mix using a knife until it forms a sticky dough.
Turn onto a floured surface and give a light knead. Sometimes I find the dough too sticky so I will add a little flour as I can until it's not sticking to my hands. They other day this was a small handful.
Press the dough out to about 4cm and cut into shapes.
Place scones on the tray, brush with a little milk and put in the oven.
Turn the heat down to 200C and cook for about 20 mins or until golden brown.

I like to make sultana scones too. For this I add about 1C of sultanas to the flour mix before adding the milk.


Do you like to bake scones? What's you favourite flavour? What do you like to serve them with?

Take Care
Becci
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. we like chopped dates in ours ;) Yours look great!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely! I like mine just as they are

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the plain scone recipe just add 1 cup grated matured cheese (yes leave in the small amount of sugar) and you have some tasty cheese scones.

    ReplyDelete