Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tucker Tuesday ~ Recipe: Potato Bake

 photo 2013_0316Feb20130002_zps4c190e4d.jpg

Potato Bake is one of our family fave side dishes. It's pretty quick to whip up and this one doesn't contain any processed packets of soup that contain lots of numbers :)

All you need is:
Enough spuds to fill your dish - will depend on how many you are feeding.
An onion, diced
About 4 rashers of bacon, diced
300ml carton of cream
1cup or so of grated cheese

I like to par cook my onion. I've found it sometimes doesn't cook well otherwise and I can't stand crunchy onion.
So I pop it, and the bacon, in a microwave container, with a lid, and heat on high for about 3 minutes.
Mean while slice your spuds. I leave the skin on, extra nutrients and all that. Layer in a casserole or lasagna dish.
Top with bacon and onion mix.
I then pour the cream over. I find if I add the cream after I have added the cheese it tends to sit on top more and not work it's way through the spuds.
Top with grated cheese.
Bake on about 180C for about 90 mins or until nice and golden and the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork.
If it's browning too early pop a lid or some alfoil on top.


Enjoy!
Becci
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I use the same recipe, but layer bacon, onion, cheese and cream between potatoes as well as on top. It is super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to give this a whirl, Becci. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! this is what I do, but I mix a packet of Chicken noodle soup in with the cream, you may need a bit more cream mixed in though. Cheers
    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love a yummy potato bake...comfort food at it's best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My variant on this is called "bitsa pie" - as in bitsa this & bitsa that! Parboil potatoes & cook onions, bacon bits & sliced up sausages. Layer sliced potatoes with the onions, bacon, sausages & anything else you like (I normally use bits of ham & frozen peas, beans & baked beans). Add a layer of sliced cheese (cheddar is best), and continue until you fill a deep casserole dish, finishing with a layer of potatoes & then a layer of cheese. Beat 4-5 eggs with a half pint of cream and pour over. Maybe put some sliced tomatoes on the top. Bake in a very hot oven, uncovered for 20 minutes, then turn oven down (to about 175C) and cook, covered for a further half an hour or so. Very filling & warming and any left over will freeze fine.

    ReplyDelete