Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tucker Tuesdays ~ Nut free Date Balls

 photo Dateballs_zps0d7350ec.jpg

I have made these Date balls a couple of times and the kids just love them. Super sweet but full of everything good.
I make mine nut free so that Ethan can take them to kindy (nut free zone) but if you need or like nuts feel free to add them.
I love the fact that this is an any thing goes kinda recipe too.


 photo 2013_0318Feb20130003_zpse5d37721.jpg
I put about a cup of pitted dates, still whole, and a cup of sultanas into a saucepan then just cover with water.
Use whatever fruit you like but use dates as a base.


 photo 2013_0318Feb20130004_zpsa4cd27c5.jpg
Bring to the boil and simmer until the liquid has evaporated.


 photo 2013_0318Feb20130005_zpscc67591b.jpg
You can fork mash the cooked dates and fruit but I find the sultanas don't mash up well so I blitz them in the food processor for a bit.


 photo 2013_0318Feb20130006_zpscdae8dbf.jpg
Add whatever other goodies you like.
I added chia seeds, quinoa flakes and some rolled oats I processes a little.
The date and fruit mix is rather soft so you want to add things to firm it up a little.
Next time I'll add some coconut oil too I think.
Leave to cool for a while, it'll firm up a bit then too.


 photo 2013_0318Feb20130007_zpse8d4fe7f.jpg
Roll teaspoonfuls into balls and roll into coconut.
Store in the fridge for up to a week, but they may not last that long, they are sooooo yummy!


Take Care
Becci
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. What are the quantities of quinoa chia etc....they look delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really measure them, just sprinkled in. Probably about 1/3 cup of quinoa flakes, about the same or a bit more of oats and about 2-3 tablespoons of chia seeds. I just put a bit in at a time until the mixture firmed up really.

      Delete
  2. I love these so much I have to stay away from the cafe a few metres from my work (theirs is high, high protein balls). My son has allergies, so this recipe would be great for us. Thanks for sharing on FB!!

    ReplyDelete