Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tucker Tuesdays: Baking with Herman


 photo Herman_zps53e8971a.jpg
 
Last last year I was introduced to Herman.

Herman is a sourdough cake/bread starter that you can make and use at home.
I remember many years ago when I was a teen, my mum and her friends having something similar. The idea was that you had this batter on your bench. You fed and stirred it, then after so many days, you took some and baked with it, some you kept to keep going for the next batch, the rest you gave away to friends to start their own.
Well in a small community that soon wore off once the market was flooded and it soon died out.

Herman, however, you do not need to give away if you don't wish too. You can just bake with that portion instead.
Herman also goes by the name of Amish Friendship Bread.
If you'd like to read more about Herman you can find some fabulous information here and here.

A lovely friend sent me a starter but there are instructions to make your own. You can even make gluten free, sugar free and paleo versions!

So yesterday was my first day baking with Herman.
I kept my one cup aside to keep brewing.

 photo 2014_0119Jan8th20140004_zps07b96c30.jpg

Then divided the batter into two. One I made the traditional Cinnamon, Apple and Sultana as 1 loaf and 10 muffins, minus the sugary topping.


 photo 2014_0119Jan8th20140008_zps8a9d090d.jpg 
The second I only added half the sugar and 4 bananas and make 24 muffins.

They are absolutely yummo! I can't wait to keep baking with Herman. The flavours are endless.


Have you baked with Herman before? What are your favourite flavours?


Take Care
Becci
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Gluten free version! Cool! We have so many ladies in church that are gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to try this. I've been using a packet yeast in our bread, but I have been looking around for a sourdough starter. Ironically, I do know a sourdough baker called Herman. Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I love that you included links to the gluten free, paleo and sugar free versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought some sourdough rye bread and am keen to try baking one. I have used a starter before and it worked well but I have not baked cakes with it. Great ideas Becci! Cheers Tanya

    ReplyDelete