Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Crafty Corner: 67 Blankets for Madiba Australia

 photo BDBMyCraftyCorner_zps80fd1846.jpg


This last week I have started on a baby blanket that will be donated to Dandelion Support Network through 67 Blankets for Madiba Australia.


 photo 67logo_zpsc23b13b6.jpg


67 Blankets for Madiba hope to have 67 blankets handmade, either knitted, crocheted or sewn,  by 1st July this year. Why Mandiba? Why 67 blankets? Why 1st July?
Carolyn Steyn was challenged by her dear friend Zelda Le Grange (Nelson Mandelas former assistant) to create 67 blankets in time for Nelson Mandela Day.
Nelson Mandela spent 67 years serving his country. Madiba is the name Nelson Mandela is affectionately know as.

Sydneysider Michelle Keys decided that she would start up an Australian chapter to support a local Australian charity and it's growing in strength every day.
The Dandelion Support Network was selected as the charity that will be supported.
The Dandelion Support Network accepts new and used baby goods which are then tended to before being distributed though various agencies to support families that are experiencing financial hardship.


 photo Blanket_zpse4350eb4.jpg
I decided to donate this cot sized 100% wool crocheted blanket I made last year.
It's made form Bendigo Classic wool in Delphinuim.


 photo 2014_0204Feb4th20140021_zpsacc137db.jpg
This weekend I started on a cot sized blanket for a baby girl. 

I'm using Bendigo Cotton in Honeydew, Blush, Pink Rose, Daffodil, Light Teal and White.
I decided to make a basic striped blanket but used this Random Strip Generator to create my stripes for me. I think I'll need about 90 stripes, but will play it by ear.
I hope to have this finished by the start of June, which will give me a month to get it sent over to Michelle.

If you would love to make a donation then head on over to the 67 Blankets for Madiba Australia Facebook Page and make your pledge.
If you cannot donate a handcreated blanket you are also able to donate materials to be used to create them (wool, material, hooks, needles etc etc).
If you would like to Donate to The Dandelion Support Network in another way you can find details here.
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cause! I love that you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete