Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tucker Tuesday: Recipe ~ Creamed Rice

 photo 2014_0417April11th20140002_zps031d2434.jpg

One of our favourite desserts is creamed rice. It's so satisfying and fairly frugal too. You don't need any fancy equipment to make it, just a saucepan, and it doesn't need much work, a little stirring here and there and that's all.
We are a fairly large family so I make a big batch. This way there are leftover which Ethan loves to take to school. You can easily halve the recipe though.

Creamed Rice
2C medium grain or arborio rice 
1.5-2Ltrs milk 
1/2C sugar 
1T good vanilla extract

Put the rice, sugar and about 1 Ltr of the milk into a medium sized saucepan.
Bring the milk to the simmer, turn down to just bubbling.
Give it a good stir ensuring that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
Let simmer for about 40 minutes or so stirring every couple of minutes to make sure the rice doesn't stick. Burn creamed rice is NOT very nice!
The rice will absorb the milk as it cooks so add more as necessary. Test the rice, once it's nice and soft it's cooked.
Depending on how you like your creamed rice add some more milk if you aren't serving straight away. The rice will continue to absorb the milk as it continues. We like ours fairly wet so I make sure I add a fair bit of milk so it's nice and saucy. Stir in the vanilla and then serve either hot or cold.

I usually use medium grain rice as it's cheaper. But I've used arborio rice the same way and it was fine.
We choose to use full cream milk to add those extra good dairy fats into our bodies.
I usually use white sugar but you can use what you like. I have used brown sugar before which adds a nice caramel flavour, you might not need as much though.
I'm sure coconut sugar or rapadura would would fine too. You can even choose to add honey or maple syrup at the end if you'd rather too.

As I said it's fairly easy, just needs some stirring. I try to make it while I'm busy in the kitchen, maybe doing dishes or some other cooking so it's easy to keep an eye on it.


Do you like Creamed Rice? How do you serve yours?

Take Care
Becci
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment