Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tucker Tuesday: Recipe ~ Homemade French Onion Soup Mix

 photo 2014_0506May6th20140018_zpsdc95fee4.jpg

I don't know about you, but I find having a packet of French Onion Soup mix in the pantry so handy. Unfortunately they're full of nasty stuff so I thought I'd have a go at making my own.

I ended up combining a few different recipes I found on the net and it's turned out really nice. I've made a few of our favourite dishes with it and it's been given the thumbs up by everyone.

Homemade French Onion Soup Mix
2/3C dried onion flakes
3t dried parsley flakes
2t onion powder (I ground up some dried onion flakes in my mortar and pestle)
2t ground tumeric
1t celery salt
1t sea salt
1t sugar
1/2t ground black pepper
3/4C beef stock powder


 photo 2014_0506May6th20140020_zps0b2a9880.jpg 
Mix ingredients all together and pop in an air tight jar. I used a jam jar. Was the perfect size. As you can see I've been using this batch.
Depending on where you buy your onion flakes you may wish the break them up a little. I did, just used the mortar and pestle.
Now depending on which brand of beef stock powder you use will depend on how 'numbers' free your mix will be, so read the back of your packets.
I use about 3 heaped dessertspoons to replace a packet. Each batch will get you at least 4 serves.

Have you made your own dried soup mixes? 
I'm going to be giving Cream of Chicken a go next.

Take Care
Becci
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. wow thats clever i will givethis a try,thankyou for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is something I've been meaning to work out for our family, thank you so much, can't wait to make some up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Becci. I have often thought of making my own F.O. Soup Mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Bec. Will be good to try in homemade french onion dip as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made my own mixes before but a friend of mine with a gift in a jar giving obsession made a bunch of soup mix in a jar for me last winter and I loved them :)
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete