Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tucker Tuesday: Recipe ~ Easy Peasy Beef Pot Roast

 photo PotRoast_zps0b90d4c8.jpg

For years A delicious, moist beef roast eluded me. I tried everything I could think of until I gave up.
Then I thought I'd give roasting one in my slow cooker a go. Lots of fails then too. One day I finally got it! It was amazing! I have made it this way countless times and it's one of my fave meals now.

The secret is in the cut of beef. for this recipe you can't use an ultra lean cut like topside. I found the best cuts to use are blade and bolar. Yes they are slightly fatty but that doesn't bother me. I personally don't buy into the saturated fat mumbo jumbo.

I also cook mine from frozen. Now I know many people will freak out at that idea so if you don't want to cook from frozen then that's ok. Just cook yours on low instead of high. It works out just the same. Cooking from frozen just makes things easier for me.

It doesn't matter what size roast you have. If you have a smaller piece you may find you need a bit less cooking time. This recipe does cook your meat well done. It's still moist, but is well done and falling apart. You end up with shredded beef not nice pretty slices. I often cook two roasts at once. This way I have enough leftover to mix with the leftover gravy that I can freeze for easy beef and gravy rolls another night.

Easy Peasy Beef Pot Roast
1 piece of blade or bolar roast
either: 1 pkt French Onion Soup Mix or 4T of Homemade French Onion Soup Mix
Water

 photo DSCF5738_zps54afa8bf.jpg
Place roast in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle with soup mix. Pour over a little water, just enough so the bottom is covered by a few millimeters. The water will help to steam the meat keeping the meat moist and helping to create lots of condensation to make lots of juices that you can make a delicious gravy from.
If frozen cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours. If defrosted cook on LOW.


 photo DSCF5750_zpsd90f42bc.jpg

I drain off the juices and make the best gravy from it. Just thicken it using a roux. It won't need much seasoning, just a bit of freshly cracked black pepper.


Take Care
Becci
xoxo


1 comment: