Monday, April 20, 2015

and so it happened

It seems that every time I reach a new decade in age, major changes are afoot.

When I turned 20 I fell pregnant and became a single mother.

When I turned 30 I finally left a crappy relationship, started studying and met my future husband and father of my youngest children.

I thought of this as I approached 40 last year. I could feel that change was around the corner, or was I imagining it? If there was change was it going to be good change? Boy I hoped so.

I was tempted to write about it but just couldn't find the words.

I even think things were changing as far back as June last year when I wrote this post, I just didn't know what it was.

Now I do.


I won't go into big details, as they involve my boys as it's for them to tell the world these things not me. But they have both been struggling at school. The school has been great and accommodating where possible. But due to red tape and all that crap they can't provide what my boys are needing right now.

But we can.

So after MUCH consideration and deliberation, we have made the decision to Home School.

We don't plan for it to be forever at this stage. Our aim is to go through to the end of next year and reevaluate. We will use this time to get our boys the help they need whilst continuing their education. We hope that once they are skilled up and and can deal with mainstream school then they'll return to their old school. If not, we'll continue to Home School. Whatever is best for our boys is what we will choose to do.

The second big change is that our second eldest, my first born, has decided to move out of home. This has been coming for a while and I think it will do him the world of good. But as a Mumma Bear I am anxious for him.

So that is it. I have no idea what it means for my blog, for my Facebook page or anything else for that matter. Right now I need to just focus on getting in to a totally different way of life and see where that takes us.

We are very excited, albeit a wee bit nervous, about where this is taking our path, and hope you can be excited for us too. I know Home Schooling can be a rather contentious issue but I hope that you can all remain respectful of our choice to do what we feel is right for our family.


Take Care
Becci
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. Really appreciate you sharing with us. All the best with the homeschooling and the next phase of our life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful decision for your family Becci, it's so important to follow your heart and do what you think is best. On another note, I don't know how I'll feel when Dan leaves home, he keeps talking about it but I know he can't afford to do it just yet and that makes me happy that he's staying for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think homeschooling is a very smart choice now. I know if I had do over I would have home schooled my son up until middle school at least. He struggled terribly and has suffered for it. Schools here do not offer enough resource and classes are quite large. The curriculum is also lacking in the basics and so when kids are pushed through here there end up losing out in the long run.
    There are groups now of homeschoolers that offer tons of support as well as social aspects for the kids. Be sure to look into them as well.
    Definite thumbs up from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bec as you know I admire you for this immensely. Please keep me in mind if I can be of any help getting along with paperwork or programming. My very best wishes to all of you for this new phase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful for your boys! Enjoy your days with them at home for as you know, soon, they will be grown and gone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you, and bulky to what others say. You are their mother, and your gut instincts are to be trusted. Your boys will thrive in the stimulation of a home education, and they will have a chance to grow into their own, and become the little men they are supposed to be. Enjoy this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becci I think your decision is a very good one. The first and best Teachers in the world are Parents. I am sure if I had youngster now I would home school. Home Schooling will become more commonplace with computers and the worldwide web. I wish you every success and I'm sure your boys will go ahead in leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great decision - and we will all love reading about how it is panning out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becci i think you are amazing for following your gut instinct and doing what is right for your boys.xx

    ReplyDelete